Friday, May 27, 2011

Marinated Grilled Salmon

Since I have been trying to eat better, I've been trying something over than beef covered in cream and Mexican food smothered in cheese.  It's been quite the adjustment.  The first couple of days, I did grilled chicken with vegetables, rice, and fresh fruit.  It was pretty good, but I think if I keep that up, my family will sell me as a health club short-order cook on ebay.  Any buyers?  I've branched
out a bit, and figured that I can make things that are somewhere in the middle of healthy and not-as-much but have smaller portions. 

When we were in Costco the other night, my husband saw some Steelhead Salmon and wanted to buy some.  I've been pretty iffy on salmon my entire life.  Sometimes I like it, and sometimes I don't.  While perusing cookbooks, I came across this recipe in a Taste of Home cookbook- of course.  I gave it a shot, and it turned out fantastic!  I only made 1/2 of a filet, and I should have made another whole filet for my husband.  He could not get enough of that stuff.  Even my four year old was begging for more.  She ate half of mine and all of her brother's leftovers. 

This is a simple recipe, and it'll turn out wonderful.  Again, I wasn't planning on blogging this until my husband gave it google eyes and started whispering sweet nothings to his plate.  So- I apologize for only having one picture.  Next time I make it, I'll take more pictures and add them in here.
Marinated Grilled Salmon
source: The Taste of Home Cookbook; It's also on their website

1/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c soy sauce
3 T unsweetened pineapple juice
3 T red wine vinegar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 T lemon juice
1 t ground ginger
1/2 t pepper
1/2 t hot sauce
1 salmon filet (2 pounds)

Combine all ingredients in a large resealable bag.  Pour out and reserve about 1/4 c of it to use for basting the fish while it's grilling.

Place the fish in the bag and let it marinate for one hour.

Prepare the grill by preheating it to medium heat.  While it is heating up, tear a piece of aluminum foil off that is double the size of the salmon.  Fold it in half and place the salmon, skin side down, on the foil.

Place the foil with the fish on the grill.  Close the lid and grill it for five minutes.  Then, brush the salmon with the reserved marinade.  Close the lid and grill for another 15-20 minutes or until the salmon forks easily with a fork.

I served this with Foxy Lady Salad (recipe coming soon), fresh fruit, brown rice, and steamed carrots. Oh- and Brazilian Lemonade

No comments:

Post a Comment