Sunday, April 17, 2011

Soy-Glazed Pork Tenderloin

When I lived in this tiny little townhouse about four years ago, I tried this recipe for the first time.  I was standing out on the back patio basting this pork, and I heard a few guys walking on the other side of the fence.  They were in the middle of a conversation, and one of them said, "D____! I don't know what that is, but it smells good!"  I couldn't help but to chuckle.  This is a really good recipe though.  Every time I have made it, the pork comes out moist and flavorful.  It's a good change of pace from hamburgers, hot dogs, and steaks. 
 Soy-Glazed Grilled Pork Tenderloin
source: BBQ USA by Steven Raichlen

1 1/2 lbs pork tenderloin
1 c soy sauce
1/2 c red wine vinegar
1 T vegetable oil
1 T minced garlic
2 t oregano
1 t cracked black peppercorn

Combine all ingredients (except tenderloin) in a large Ziplock bag.  Now you can add the pork tenderloin.  :)  Let it marinde for 4 to 12 hours in the fridge.  Flip it every couple of hours (unless you're sleeping) to evenly coat the pork.
 Prepare the grill for a two-zone fire.  Make one side on high and the other on medium. 

Drain the marinade from the bag into a sall saucepan and boil it for three minutes.  I'd imagine this kills all the bacteria from coming in contact with rare meat.  I was skeptical about this the first time I made it, but the few times I've made it, I've never had any problems.
 Place the pork on the high heat side of the grill.  Cook it for two minutes on each side.  Brushing with the reserved marinade each time you flip it. 

Once you've done the four sides, move the pork to the medium heat side of the grill.  Continue cooking the pork for two minutes on each side until it's done.  I think I did just 8 minutes longer.  For medium, it should be 160 degrees on the inside.  In my experience with cooking pork, if it is slightly pink on the inside, it will be fine.  When it's overcooked, pork gets gray and dry.  If it is cooked just right, it is very juicy and flavorful. 
 Remove the pork and let it rest for a few minutes.  Carve the pork by slicing it into slices against the grain of the meat. 
If you're really feeling crazy, you can make a foil pouch to use some wood chips.  Soak some mesquite chips in water for 30 minutes.  Place them in the middle of some aluminum foil and fold the sides over the the top.  You can either poke holes in the top with a fork or open the top to let the smoke come out.  Place the foil pouch on top of the heat source in the grill.  Turn the heat onto medium-low and let it go until you see or smell smoke.  Then, place the meat on the grill.  The wood chips will add an unbelievable flavor to the meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment