Sunday, April 17, 2011

Ravioli with Alfredo Sauce

I got my first shipment of Winder Farms food on my doorstep on Friday morning.  I was as giddy as a school girl.  I got some whole milk in a glass bottle, and that was the creamiest, freshest milk I've ever tasted.  Anywho... back to this dinner.  As a part of my order, I got this cheese and basil ravioli.  I had never seen striped pasta, but I thought it looked great.  Anything with stripes is cool with me- American Flag, zebras, beach towels, rainbows, Yipes! Stripes! Fruit Stripes Gum!  Well, my friends, add Basil-Cheese Ravioli to the list of striped glory.  Then, to top it all off, I made homemade alfredo sauce, and it hit the spot.  This sauce was creamy and perfect in every way.  Except for calories and fat intake- we won't go there.  Just savor the flavor of the creamy alfredo.
Alfredo Sauce:
source: The America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook
serves 6 to 8

2 c heavy cream
salt
2 T unsalted butter
2 oz grated Parmesan cheese (1 cup)
pinch nutmeg
pepper
1/4 t garlic powder

Put the cream into a saucepan over medium heat and cook for about 8 minutes- stirring frequently.  Let the water cycle (or cream cycle in this case) work its magic.  After the 8 minutes, you should have about 1 1/2 c of cream left.  Why you don't just use 1 1/2 c of cream to start, I'll never know.  Remove from the heat and cover.
Prepare whatever pasta you'd like to use: Ravioli, tortellini, fettucine, or whatever...

Add the butter, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, and garlic powder.
 Add a little freshly ground pepper.  Stir to combine. 
 Once your pasta is ready, drain it, and place it on a plate.  Spoon the alfredo sauce over the top.  I sprinkled on some mozzarella cheese and parsley.  It was lovely and delicious and all was right with the world. 
Even Emma and Owen- my picky, adorable little children scarffed this down.

No comments:

Post a Comment