Sunday, March 20, 2011

Corned Beef Hash

I think the best thing about St. Patrick's Day dinner is the left over potatoes and corned beef.  About four years ago, I discovered a recipe for corned beef hash which I didn't even know existed.  I gave it a whirl, and now we make it every year with left-over corned beef.  And just for the record, I used to be terrified of Corned Beef and I wouldn't eat it if you paid me.  Pink meat?  AHH!  However, the tides have turned, and I really dig it now.  This is a really easy recipe, and if your family likes corned beef, they'll love this for sure.

Corned Beef Hash:

2 c cooked, cubed, and peeled potatoes
3 c left-over corned beef, shredded or diced
3/4 c chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 c vegetable oil

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.  Add the potatoes and cook for about ten minutes or until a nice crust forms on the bottoms of the potatoes.  Flip the potatoes and cook the other side for ten minutes. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.  A lot of the moisture (don't you just love that word) from the boiled potatoes will evaporate as you're cooking.  
 Once the potatoes are golden brown on both sides, add the onion, garlic, and corned beef.  Cook for another 5-10 minutes- stirring frequently to ensure all of the corned beef gets cooked.

Done!
 As a side note, the corned beef is better if it is shredded, but the one I did this year did not turn out very tender.  I was stuck with chunks.  sniff, sniff.

No comments:

Post a Comment