Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Chocolate Muffins

I think I've finally realized why I like breakfast so much.  You can get away with eating chocolate muffins, coffee cake, and burritos, and no one questions your eating habits.  It's like starting your day off with dessert!  Well, burritos aren't dessert, but they're Mexican Food, and that just may be the next best thing.

Now, back to these muffins... I remember when my parents would come from Costco or Sam's Club, and my eyes would always be on the lookout for that muffin assortment pack... you know the ones- The Blueberry, Poppy Seed, and Chocolate Muffins.  Oh, how I loved those muffins.  I have two older brothers, and it always seemed that the chocolate muffins were the first to go.  Those things were so delicious.  Now, these muffins were just as tasty without the preservative after-taste.  I made one dozen regular-sized ones, and about 9 mini-muffins for my kids.  When my three-year-old son tried the first one, he shoved the whole darn thing into his mouth, aside from the plethora of crumbs that I vaccuumed up a few hours later. 
 Chocolate Muffins
source: King Arthur Flour Baking Companion Cookbook (this cookbook is amazing)

2/3 c cocoa
1 3/4 c flour
1 1/4 c light brown sugar
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
1 c chocolate chips
2 lg eggs
1 c milk
2 t vanilla
2 t vinegar
8 T margarine or butter, melted

Preheat the oven to 425.  Place muffin liners in a muffin pan. 

Combine all of the dry ingredients in a large bowl.

 Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.

 Combine the eggs, milk, vanilla, vinegar, and melted butter in another bowl.  Stir to combine. 
Add the wet and dry ingredients together.

 Stir together one last time.  You don't want to beat this too much- mix it only until it is incorporated.
 Use a cookie scooper or ice cream scoop with a quick-release switch to drop the batter into the muffin liners.  Let me tell you... the first time I used a quick release ice cream scooper, it was like a burden had been lifted.  It works wonders, I tell you!  The recipe said it would make one dozen, but I had some left-overs to make mini-muffins for the kids. 

Bake them for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.  If you're doing mini-muffins, you'll only need to bake them for about 8 minutes.

Let them cool for a few minutes.
If you feel guilty about eating a chocolate muffin for breakfast, do what I did- justify it by eating it with a bunch of fresh fruit.  "Here, kids... Stuff your face with chocolate for breakfast.  But wait!  Here's some fruit."  *smile* 

No comments:

Post a Comment