Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baked Potato Soup

My brother Erik is one of the funniest people I know.  I don't know where or how he pulls off his comments as quickly as he does, but I'd like to know what goes on in his head.  Growing up, my mom used to make this baked potato soup all the time, and my brother once said, "That soup tastes like something that you would get at an orphanage."  If that's the case, I know why Little Orphan Annie was always singing and happy.  She was looking forward to getting this soup!  I think the song should have gone, "Oh, the soup will come out, tomorrow.  Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow... there'll be soup."  *Enter a baton twirl and a cha-cha kick here.* 

 This is a quick, easy dinner that takes about 30 minutes to get ready.  I made some homemade rolls to go with it.  Can't go wrong with that.  I love it.  It's not fancy, but it's pretty darn tasty.
                                      
Baked Potato Soup:
2/3 c butter
2/3 c flour
3/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
6 c milk
1 c sour cream
1 c cheddar cheese
4 potatoes, baked, peeled, and chopped
1/4 c green onions, sliced
10 slices bacon, crumbled
1 c cheddar cheese (for garnish)

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add the flour.  Stir to combine.
Add the salt, pepper, and milk.  Bring it to a boil.  Continue cooking for two minutes, stirring constantly.
Add the first cup of cheddar cheese.  Honestly, I add about 1 1/2-2 c cheese here.  We all know that more cheese makes everything better.
Add the cooked potatoes.
Add the sour cream.

Stir to combine.  Serve right away.

Top with more cheese, crumbled bacon, and chopped green onion.
"When you're stuck with a day, that's grey, and lonely.... You just stick up your chin, and grin, and say... Oh, the soup will come out tomorrow."  :)  Go, Annie!

No comments:

Post a Comment