Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Creamy White Chili

Before I start, I have a confession... Not only did I snag this recipe from one of my cookbooks, I took a picture of their picture. I took s picture of my own soup, but it didn't turn out very well. Just to give full credit, it is from "Gooseberry Patch: Keepsake Recipes" page 236. This is the first, and hopefully the last, time I will ever take someone else's picture for my blog. I feel like I need to repent for this one. Hopefully, I don't get struck by lightening next time I go out. AHH!

This recipe is great. I thought it had a good amount of zing to it, and it was creamy from the cheese and the monterey jack cheese. This is a great alternative to beef/tomato/kidney bean chili. Give it a whirl. :)
Creamy White Chili:
1 T oil
2 pounds chicken breasts, cubed
1 onion, chopped
14 oz chicken broth
2 can Great Northern beans
1 can chopped green chiles (I only used half so my kids might attempt to eat it)
1 1/2 t garlic powder
1 t salt
1 t cumin
1/2 t oregano
8 oz sour cream
1 c whipping cream
2 c shredded Monterey jack cheese
cilantro, chopped, optional

Cook the cubed chicken and onion in oil until browned on all sides and the chicken is no longer pink in the middle- about 10 minutes. Set aside.

In a large stockpot or dutch oven, add the chicken broth, beans, green chiles, and seasonings. Cook that over medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Add the chicken. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, add the sour cream, whipping cream, and cheese. Stir well until heated through and melted.

Garnish with a dollop of sour cream, Monterey Jack cheese, and chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment