Friday, January 28, 2011

tortilla chips

These are pretty easy. Open a bag of Tostitos, pour them in basket, and you're done.

kidding, kidding. I had some left-over salsa the other day, and I was drooling at the mere thought of eating it. Oh, how I love salsa. I go into the cupboard and no chips. Drat the luck! I did have some corn tortillas. It just so happened that the day before, I saw a quick recipe for making chips using tortillas, cooking spray, and a cookie sheet. Fancy that! I thought I'd give it a try. They were pretty good. Not the best chips by any stretch of the imagination. However, if you're desperate for salsa and have no other chips, these'll do just fine.
Tortilla Chips:

corn tortillas
cooking spray
salt

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cut the tortillas into triangles.

Place them in an even layer on a cookie sheet. It's a good thing I played Tetris constantly as a kid. I had some shape-shifting going on to fit them all.


Spray them with cooking spray.


Bake for 7-10 minutes. Check them after 7 minutes. If they are still floppy, cook another minute or two. Watch them closely, or they will brown too quickly, as mine did here. They were a bit overdone but still tasty.
Sprinkle them with salt, chili powder, seasoned salt, or whatever else you like.

Put them in a bowl and serve.

This is a total cop-out post. It's been a busy week. :)

3 comments:

  1. I love your "cop-out" post! It's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this recipe the day I decided to make tortillas chips using too small of a pan way too hot... my first pan fire almost burned down my apartment & I still have scars on my arms from the oil burns! This recipe seems much, much safer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle, I wish I would have posted this sooner! I must admit that I, too, have nearly burned down the house while trying to fry tortilla chips. I think they are a little better fried, but much healthier and safer this way. heaven knows I eat enough cheese, cream, and sugar. :)

    ReplyDelete