Monday, December 27, 2010

Pecan Cheese log

What says "the holidays" more than a cheese ball? There's just something about a chunk of cream cheese mixed with other delicious ingredients and shaped into some geometrical shape. I think I'm going to make a CheeseCone next year. :) I found this recipe in the Taste of Home Simple and Delicious magazine from this month, and it is a keeper! I took one over to my parent's house for a Sunday dinner, and it didn't last 10 minutes. It's so simple but delicious. I suppose that's why it was meant to be in the "Simple and Delicious" magazine. The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it up and add your favorite kinds of cheese or other ingredients in it. You could add cheddar, pepper jack, or mozzarella cheese. You can add chopped green onions, chopped olives, or imitation crab meat. The possibilities really are endless.
Pecan Cheese Log
source: Taste of Home's "Simple and Delicious" magazine December/January 2011

1 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
2 c Colby cheese
2 c Monterey jack cheese
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 t garlic powder
1 t onion powder
1/4 t Worcestershire sauce
2 c chopped pecans
Ritz crackers

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. I kind of made this on a whim, and all I had was cheddar cheese. That's all I used, and it turned out great.
Place the cheese mixture on Saran wrap on the counter
Wrap the Saran wrap around the cheese to form it into a log shape.
Once it is shaped, chop the pecans. You can also used walnuts, almonds, or pistachios if you'd like.
Take the cheese log out of the Saran wrap and roll it in the chopped pecans.
Coat all sides evenly. Place it on a cool serving tray and serve with crackers. Watch it magically disappear!

No comments:

Post a Comment