Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Blueberry Streusel Muffins

I know I seem to be on a blueberry overload lately. However, in my defense, I buy a big pack of blueberries at Costco, and there's no way in Heaven or anywhere else that I am going to let that 6.99 go to waste. When we go to Costco, my daughter looks up at me with those big, blue eyes and sweetly asks, "Mommy, can we please get some blueberries?" How can I say "no" to that?! Not possible. So, you have some blueberry recipes: blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes with blueberry syrup. It's all so good though! I'm salivating just thinking of the waffles I made the other day with the leftover blueberry syrup. I'll be posting that waffle recipe later. Back to the muffins- They are tasty little morsels. Each bite is a joy. They are more cakey than the muffin mixes, but I dig it. My kids gobbled them up like they were a bowl of ice cream with hot fudge and rainbow sprinkles. It's one of my favorite go-to recipes for blueberry muffins, so I wanted to share them with you. It is, of course, a recipe from a Taste of Home book. What says taste of home more than homemade blueberry muffins with streusel topping?
Blueberry Streusel:
source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Blueberry-Streusel-Muffins

Ingredients:
1/4 c butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 t Vanilla
2-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
4 t baking powder
1/2 t salt
1 c milk
1-1/2 c fresh or frozen blueberries

STREUSEL:
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c all-purpose flour
1/2 t ground cinnamon
1/4 c cold butter

Before I start typing, I think you should know that I didn't take any additional pictures. I wasn't planning on blogging these, but then I thought, "uhh... These are really good. I'd better snap a picture right quick." There you have it.. one picture. No mas.

Preheat the oven to 375.

Cream the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl. Add the egg and beat until well combined. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Add in alternately with the milk. Add the vanilla. Mix it up! Fold in the blueberries with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula.

Fill up the 12 spots in a muffin pan with the batter. They should be about 2/3 c full.

In a small bowl, combine the first three streusel ingredients. Add the butter and cut it in with a fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle it over the uncooked muffins.

Cook the muffins for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Done! These are great alongside a breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, and hash browns. Mmm..

No comments:

Post a Comment