Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Shredded Pork Nachos

Okay. I admit it. Sometimes I crave Dude food- you know... greasy, cheesy, and fattening. It's delicious. Can you blame me? I was raised with two brothers. Nachos are a classic Dude food. When my family would go to a Mexican restaurant when I was younger, my brother would almost always order nachos- fully loaded. And, to my surprise, he would eat almost the whole darn plate! I'm still baffled as to how he could do it. The kid was a tall stick. Anyway, I created this nacho recipe, and it's pretty tasty. If you're having a Super Bowl party or just want nachos for dinner one night, here you go. The only thing missing was my homemade guacamole. Sniff. Sniff. I was out of avocados. That would make these nachos unbelievably wonderful in every way imaginable.

Shredded pork Nachos:

2 T oil
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1/4 c onion, diced
2 c shredded, cooked pork

Seasoning:
1 t chili powder
1/2 t cumin
1/2 t garlic powder
1/ t onoin powder
1/4 t seasoned salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/8 t ground coriander

1 can refried beans
2 T sour cream
2 T taco sauce

tortilla chips
cheddar, colby-jack, or Monterey jack cheese (or a combination)
Sliced black olives
fresh cilantro
diced tomatoes
sour cream
guacamole (see Callie's guacamole post)
salsa (see the Sweet Heat Salsa post)

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and red pepper and saute until soft, about 1 minute. Add the shredded pork. Add half of the seasoning. Stir 'er up! Take off the heat.

One thing- I made the Pork Barbacoa recently, and before I added the sauce to the cooked pork, I took out about 2 c of the pork for this recipe. It had great flavor and was still very moist. Mmm..
Put the refried beans into a bowl and add the remaining seasoning, sour cream, and taco sauce. Stir it up to mix well.

Put tortilla chips on a cookie sheet or pizza pan. I cover mine with aluminum foil for easy clean-up.
Plop small spoonfuls of the beans all over the chips like so.
Top with the shredded pork. You can also use chicken, ground beef, or steak for this recipe- although you'll have a hard time shredding ground beef. ;)
Top with cheese and olives. Broil on middle rack of the oven for about five minutes. Keep an eye on it, so it doesn't burn.
Once they are out, top with cilantro and tomatoes. Scoop it onto your plate and top with sour cream, guacamole, and salsa.
Sometimes I feel bad for making these for dinner. Then I think, You know... all Mexican food is a tortilla in some form, meat, cheese, beans, and salsa. That's Mexican food for you. I love it all. So, next time you're craving Dude food... here you go. I haven't met a dude yet that doesn't like these nachos.

No comments:

Post a Comment