Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Cheese Enchiladas

Here am I again with not only Mexican food but something with multiple types of cheese. Mmmm.... A couple years ago, Itried a recipe called three cheese enchiladas. I don't remember where I found it, and I couldn't find the recipe among my giant supply of cooking magazines or cookbooks. I tried to recreate it, and it was so good. I love enchiladas anyway, so these really hit the spot.

Cheese Enchiladas

1 1/2 c Monteray Jack Cheese
1 1/2 c cheddar cheese
2 oz cream cheese
1/4 c salsa
1/4 c chopped green onions
1 t cumin
1/2 t chili powder
red or green enchilada sauce
4 tortillas
lettuce
sour cream
olives
pico de gallo
guacamole

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a bowl, combine 1 c MJ cheese, 1 c cheddar cheese, and cream cheese (I put mine in the microwave for about 15 seconds to make it more manageable.) Stir all of that up.
Add the salsa to the cheese mixture and combine.
Add the green onions and the seasonings. Mix well.
Pour some of the enchilada sauce in a 8x8 pan or whatever you're using to bake in. Pour some more on a shallow plate or pie plate. I like to use white corn tortillas because the texture of flour tortillas gets all soggy after they are baked. There are few things in the whole entire world that are worse than the texture of soggy bread. Place the tortilla on the sauce.
Flip it over to coat the other side.
Pout 1/4 of the mixture on the tortilla. use a spatula to spread it out. As if there wasn't enough cheese at this point, I actually added more cheddar on top. :D
Repeat with all four tortillas. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
Take it out and serve them with shredded lettuce, olives, pico de gallo, guacamole, and whatever you like with enchiladas. I honestly think these are just as good as any that you'll get in a restaurant. Cheese enchiladas are one of my husband's favorite meals. That's great for me because they are super easy and delicious. :)

So, Ole'! Have a fiesta and party like it's 1999.

1 comment:

  1. Don't flour tortillas remind you of gum when used for enchiladas & casseroles!!!

    Made these enchiladas, Callie, & I loved them. I used green sauce (too bad my kids thought the sauce was too spicy). Love the cheesiness.

    ReplyDelete