Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Meatball Subs

I can't even count the number of times I have had a meatball sub from a sandwich shop. I love them. There's something about the juicy meatballs, the marinara sauce, the melted cheese, and the toasty buns. The best thing about these sandwiches is that they can be made from home for next to nothing. This is one of those meals that the family just goes nuts for. They can be made even quicker by using bottled marinara sauce and frozen meatballs; However, I have taken a pact with the anti-bottled sauce society that I will make my own from here on out. Here's a picture and the recipe:
Meatball Sub Sandwiches:
adapted from Taste of Home Celebrations

meatballs:
2 eggs
1/4 c milk
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T dried parsley
3/4 t basil
3/4 t oregano
1/8 t pepper
1 lb ground beef
1 c crushed crackers (I used Ritz)

Sauce:
15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 c grated Parmesan cheese
1 t oregano
1 t basil
1 t parsley
1/2 t salt

6 submarine sandwich rolls
sliced provolone
mozzarella
Parmesan cheese
sliced red onions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Combine all the meatball ingredients and mix until well combined.

Shape into balls and put on a greased cookie sheet. Put in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
While the meatballs are baking, combine all the sauce ingredients in a saucepan. Stir to combine and simmer until the meatballs are ready.

While that is simmering, prepare the bread. I like to cut the rolls as shown below and scoop out some of the bread so you make a bread boat type of thing.

Take the meatballs out of the oven. They will be nice and brown. Add them to the sauce.

Turn off the oven and preheat the broiler. Put the sliced provolone at the bottom of each roll and put under the broiler until the cheese is melted. Watch it closely! It will burn quickly. Take out the rolls and plop some meatballs into your cheesy, bready boat.

Top with mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, and red onion, if using.

Put back under the broiler until the cheese is melted. It won't take too long, so keep your eye on it!

Put the top of the bread boat back on and serve. I had to include the picture below because my 4 year old daughter took it. She got a hold of my camera, pointed it at the sandwich and said, "I have got to take a picture of this tasty sandwich so you can put it on your blog." Cute.

Here's a cross section of the sandwich. I actually added more sauce to it after the picture was taken, and that was really good.
Take that, Subway!

No comments:

Post a Comment