Tuesday, September 28, 2010

bruschetta with cilantro

Tomatoes are a new thing for me. I wouldn't eat them for years! I think my parents about had a heart attack when I told them that I ate bruschetta at an Italian place and liked it. I found this recipe in a taste of Home magazine and tried it. It's so easy and delicious. Give it a shot!

Bruschetta:
4 ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 onion, diced
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
3 T olive oil
1/2 t balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

shredded mozzarella cheese

french bread or baguette, sliced
butter

Dice the tomatoes, onion, and cilantro. Toss it all together. Add the olive oil and vinegar.
I like to leave the bruschetta in the fridge for about an hour before serving it.

For the bread, I didn't have time to toast it like I usually do, so I'm just going to walk you through it. Slice the bread into 1 inch-ish slices. Butter both sides and sprinkle with parsley. Put them on a heated griddle over medium heat. Cook until they are golden brown on both sides. I'm telling you- toasting the bread slices with butter makes this recipe a whole lot better. It is really, really good.

Put the bruschetta on the bread and top with a little mozzarella.

If you don't like cilantro (which I think is crazy), you can use fresh basil or parsley instead.

2 comments:

  1. HI Mrs. Frank....thanks for spending time with our family @ the k12 meeting...last week...but one of the 2 boys have signed up & the one who loves cooking & will love your blog...will probably sign up soon
    Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ines! It was a pleasure to help your family. I know you're going to be wonderful parents to work with. I wish you could be in my class! That's awesome that one (almost two) has signed up. I hope the older one can find some good recipes to try. Have a great weekend once it rolls around.

    ReplyDelete