Saturday, January 2, 2016

One Hour Cinnamon Rolls

We were playing Monopoly today, and my son drew the card that said, "It's your birthday!  Claim $10 from every player."  We all forked over our ten dollars and said, "Happy birthday" in the most un-enthusiastic voice we could muster.  His response?  "Should I get in my birthday suit?!"  Ha!  That kid cracks me up.  I'm happy to report that he did not get in his birthday suit, and we continued to play Monopoly fully clothed.  That could have gotten really awkward really fast!

I've been doing this blog for a few years now, and I have never had a very good camera with a macro lens.  Those days are over now, my friends!  My husband got me a new camera with three lenses for Christmas.  Hip, hip!  I love that camera, and look at these lovely pictures!  I was having too much fun.  These cinnamon rolls deserve all the pictures they get.

These bad boys were on the table in one hour!  Ooh!  It's a miracle!  I rarely do cinnamon rolls because they usually take three hours, and by the time they're ready my kids are famished and squirming on the floor from the hunger pangs.  Well, well, well.  You can have these ready in one hour.  They use yeast, they rise beautifully, and they taste amazing.  I'm so glad that I found this recipe!


Check out the fluffiness in the middle!  I'm telling you.  These are tender and delicious.  Be sure to the rapid rise yeast!  This doesn't take as much time to activate, hence the quicker rising time.  

If you don't like cream cheese frosting, I'll forgive you, but you're missing out!  They really make the cinnamon rolls so much better.  *drool*

One Hour Cinnamon Rolls:

yield: One dozen cinnamon rolls

Ingredients:

Dough:
1 c milk
1/4 c butter
3 1/2 c flour, divided
1/4 sugar
1/2 t salt
1 packet instant or "rapid rise" yeast
1 egg

Filling:
1/3 c sugar
1/3 c brown sugar
2 T cinnamon
1/4 c butter, softened

Icing:
1/4 c butter
2 T cream cheese
3/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 - 1 T milk (if needed)

In a microwave safe bowl,  combine the milk and butter and cook on high for one minute.  Remove and stir.  If the butter isn't melted, put it back in for 20 seconds at a time, stirring after each interval.  When it's done, make sure that the milk is warm but not hot.  If it's too hot, set it aside to cool for a bit.  When it's too hot, it kills the yeast.

In a large mixing bowl, add three cups of the flour, sugar, and salt.  Whisk to combine.  Set aside.

In the bowl of your mixer, add the yeast and lukewarm milk mixture.  Stir with a rubber spatula to combine.  Add in the flour mixture and the egg.  Beat on medium-low until it is mixed well. If the dough is still too sticky and not forming a ball, add the remaining flour, 1/4 c at a time.  Continue to beat for five minutes.  Place a damp towel over the bowl and let the dough rest and rise for ten minutes.

While that is rising, combine the sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon for the filling.  Set aside.

Once the ten minutes has passed, place the dough on a floured surface.  Roll out to a 14x9 rectangle.  Spread the softened butter over the entire area of the rectangle.  Sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon mixture over the entire area as well.  Use it all!  

Roll the dough up from the 14 inch side.  Roll it tightly as you go.

Use dental floss to cut the ends off, then cut the dough into 12 even rolls.  Place into a greased 13x9 baking pan.  Place them in a warm place to rise until doubled in size, about 25 minutes.  I always boil water in a Pyrex measuring cup, place in the back corner of the microwave and put the bread in there.  It rises perfectly every time!

Bake the rolls for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.

For the icing:
In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and cream cheese on high until light and fluffy.  Turn off the mixer and add the powdered sugar.  Turn it on low and beat until well-mixed.  If it is too thick, add a little milk to thin it out.  Spread or pipe it onto the rolls.  Just an FYI- I actually halved the cream cheese recipe here because I didn't want too much frosting on them.  If you like to really like to cake it on and have a ton of frosting, double the recipe I have here.  






No comments:

Post a Comment