Monday, June 22, 2015

Outrageous Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies

On Mother's Day, my husband told me that he was going to cook all three meals for me.  *gasp!*  Unspeakable!  I was thrilled to have a day off from cooking, even though I love it.  I was relaxing upstairs when my husband brought me lunch.  He went back downstairs to make lunch for the kids as well.  All of the sudden I heard a loud gasp followed by an, "Oh. my gosh!  That's really, really bad!!  Callie!"  I rushed downstairs, and my poor husband had his bleeding hand under running water.  While slicing an avocado, the knife ended up slicing his hand pretty deep.  Needless to say, I was in charge of the rest of lunch and dinner.  And my husband's hand survived the ordeal, although he'll always have a nasty scar.

Come Father's Day, he requested turkey dinner.  I was happy to oblige because he deserves an awesome dinner on Father's Day.  On Saturday night, I made the pumpkin chiffon pie, cranberry chutney, and prepared the bread and vegetables for stuffing.  On Sunday morning, I make the bread for the rolls.  After a couple hours of rising, I was ready to put them in the oven.  I preheated the oven and went to relax for a few minutes (or try to).  About twenty minutes later, I noticed that my oven still said "pre" and didn't beep.  Upon further investigation, my oven decided to bite the dust.  It wouldn't heat up.  it's kind of hard to cook a turkey dinner in a cold oven.  We ended up having fried chicken instead.  Father's Day fail.  I felt terrible!  At least he got to have some pie that night.

The night before Father's Day, I baked these cookies.  I had pinned this recipe on pinterest a long time ago but finally tried them.  Good grief.  They are fabulous.  Ever get in that mood where you think, "hmm... should I make oatmeal cookies?  Peanut butter cookies?  Or how about chocolate chip?"  Well, my friends, these delicious cookies combine all three.  They are a delight.  I was pleasantly surprised the next day when they were still really soft.  Many cookies get stale after a day ,but these were just as tasty as day one.  These may be a new family favorite.  We loved them... a lot.


By the way, I've made these a couple more times since I originally posted it.  The first time, a guy was over here that didn't like peanut butter cookies.  He took one bite and said, "Well, Callie... You've done it again.  These cookies are probably the best peanut butter cookie I've ever tasted."  The next time, I took them to a family BBQ, and my cousin seriously ate four of them.  She said they were the best, too.  They really are so soft and delicious.  They stay soft the next day, too. Fabulous!


Outrageous Oatmeal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
source: Allrecipes.com

1/2 c butter
1/2 c white sugar
1/3 c packed brown sugar
1/2 c peanut butter
1 egg
1/2 t vanilla
1 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
1/2 c rolled oats
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, add the butter and sugars.  Beat on medium speed for two minutes or until the mixture is light and fluffy.  Add the peanut butter, egg, and vanilla.  Mix until incorporated.  Turn off the mixer.  Add the flour, baking soda, salt, and oats.  Mix on low until well-combined.  Add the chocolate chips.

Use a cookie scoop to put the dough on the cookie sheets.  I got 1 1/2 dozen out of the recipe, but I'm notorious for making big cookies.  I'd imagine the regular recipe is two dozen.

Bake for 10-11 minutes.  Do not over-bake!  They will set up as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment