Sunday, October 5, 2014

World's Best Rolls #2 (actually should be #1 because they really are the best!)

Well, folks, hell has had another ice age.  It has frozen over again!  Last time, it was because I asked my oldest brother, who never used to cook, for a recipe.  This time, my mom asked me for this roll recipe.  WHA??!?  My mom has been using the same roll recipe for as long as I can remember, and it is fabulous.  They are wonderfully soft and tender crescent rolls.  They've graced our Thanksgiving, Christmas, and many Sunday dinners for years and years.  Well, I bring these puppies over to dinner today, and they were hands-down the best rolls I've ever tasted.  They were so soft, and the texture was perfect.  With a little bit of butter (or a lot), I thought I'd died and gone to buttery roll heaven.  I swear that henceforth I shall never make another roll recipe again.
World's Best Rolls
source: http://fabulesslyfrugal.com/delicious-rolls/

Makes 2 dozen
  • 2 Tablespoons dry yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 Tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 1-1/2 cup scalded milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • 6-7 cup flour
In a small bowl, combine the warm water (it should be between 105-110 degrees for the yeast to work), yeast, and sugar.  Stir to combine.  It will foam up after five minutes.  If it doesn't foam up, the yeast has been killed.  Start over!  

While that is foaming, put the milk in the microwave for about two minutes to scald it. Pour it into whatever you'll be mixing the dough in.   Let it cool for a couple minutes and add the oil, sugar, and salt.  

Stir in one cup of flour.  Add the two beaten eggs.

Add the yeast mixture.  Mix.  Add the remaining 5-6 c of flour, one cup at a time.  Stir after each addition.  I added 5 1/4 cups of flour.  It should be a bit sticky.  

Knead the dough until it is smooth.  Cover and let it raise for 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.

Grease two 9x13 pans.  Shape the dough into 24 rolls- put 12 in each pan.  Cover and let raise for 30-60 or until doubled in size again.  I once read somewhere that the less you handle the dough, the more tender it will be.  Once the dough is out, I gently rip it in half, then each half into fourths.  (eight pieces total)  Then I break each of those into thirds.  Who knew you'd actually need to know fractions as an adult. Do whatever works for you as long as you get 24 rolls out of it.  

Bake in a 425 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

Brush those babies with butter and devour them!

No comments:

Post a Comment