Sunday, August 11, 2013

White Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies

Do you ever have those aha moments where you finally get something that you should have gotten when you were five?  For example, one day, seeing a sign for Target, I said to my husband, "Oh, it's a bullseye!  Like a Target!"  He gave me a half-heartedly congratulatory pat on the back.  Then, I saw some Quaker Oats and said, "ohhhh!  He's a Quaker!  That's why they call it Quaker oats."  Again, he looked at me like I just recited the alphabet.  I'm not the quickest of cats.  

Well, after a recent trip to Utah, I know why it is called the Beehive state.  

Encounter #1 We went to Lagoon, an old run down amusement park that wasn't too amusing for a one year old.  My husband and two older kids were riding a ride while I sat on the sidelines with my little one.  Now, we have sat perfectly still and contorted our faces without moving an inch to avoid being stung by one of a bajillion bees there.  I was watching them on the ride and a bee flutters on over to our large cup of root beer and lands on it.  It desperately tries to squeeze down into the lid.  No luck.  Another bee comes and tries to climb up under the lid.  No luck.  While these two clowns were trying to infiltrate my tasty beverage, a third bee and landed on the top of my straw.  I watched in horror as that crazy bee crawled into my straw and down, down, down.  He crawled into my straw people?!  What kind of bee does that?  While the other bees were on my cup, I slowly picked it up and threw it away.  Sigh.  Perfectly good root beer down the drain.

Encounter #2 We went to the Hogle Zoo in Salt Lake city.  Again, there were bees around every corner and buzzing around like no one's business.  After avoiding any nasty encounters with a bee, we were close to heading home.  I was carrying my baby, and I suddenly feel the sting of a syringe.  What the?!  I see a bee on my upper arm impaling me with it's little stinging hiney.  I swatted him off and suffered the pain of my first ever bee sting.  I believe that the first bee that desperately wanted my root beer sent out a call of desperation to destroy me as he was drowning in my beverage.  As we continued to walk to the exit, we see a beehive sitting on the grass by the walkway with hundreds of bees swarming around it.  Call me crazy, but putting a bee hive by a walking path at a zoo is probably not the best move.  

Bees stink.  If they didn't pollinate our flowers and do other amazing things, I would start a petition to have them all exterminated.  Crazy bees.  

Now, these cookies!  Prepare to have your minds blown!  I gave some to a couple missionaries that were over at our house, and they about fell over!  One of them said that it was his new favorite cookie and asked that I make them again the next time they come over.  They are so soft and chewy, cinnamony and sugary.  I think they are a delight!  I'm pretty sure they'll become a favorite of yours, too!

White Chocolate Snickerdoodle Cookies
source: http://www.somethingswanky.com/white-chocolate-snickerdoodle-pudding/

1 c butter
3/4 c brown sugar
1/4 c sugar
1 3.4 oz. instant vanilla pudding mix
2 lg eggs
1 t vanilla
2 1/4 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 c white chocolate chips
1 t cinnamon

1/3 c cinnamon sugar

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream the butter, brown sugar, and sugar in a mixer on medium speed for 2-3 minutes.  The mixture will be lighter in color and fluffier.

Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after addition.  Add the vanilla.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, dry vanilla pudding mix, baking soda, and salt.  Whisk to combine then add to the butter-sugar mixture. Mix well.

Add the white chocolate chips and cinnamon. and mix well.

Scoop or roll in two inch-ish balls. Roll in the cinnamon sugar and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown.  Don't overbake!

Let them rest on the cookie sheets for a few minutes then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.



No comments:

Post a Comment