Thursday, April 25, 2013

Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar Streusel

Here is a little glimpse into the mind of my childhood:
Any kind of bean: Uhh, that looks like a cockroach.  I'm not eating that.
Onions: Uhh, that makes people cry when it's cut open.  What a bully.  I'm not eating that.
Tomatoes: Uhh... I'm not sure if it's a vegetable or a fruit.  I'm not eating that.
Mexican food: Uhh.. there is nothing in the world better than chicken fingers.  Just because we're at a Mexican restaurant, it doesn't mean I have to get Mexican food, anyway.  Could you make those chicken fingers medium and bring two extra sides of ranch?
Sweet potatoes: Those potatoes look like they got a bad spray tan.  I'll pass.

Seriously though.  I was the pickiest kid.  I'm afraid I've passed it onto my kids.  I would never eat sweet potatoes.  Not even when they were smothered in marshmallows at Thanksgiving.  I think that has to do with the fact that my mom makes the most magical mashed potatoes in the world.  Yes, folks, in the whole, wide, entire, world.  No other potato could ever find a place in my heart at Thanksgiving when those delectable, fluffy potatoes graced my presence.  I'm so glad that I've come around to liking sweet potatoes now that I have entered my fourth decade.  These twice baked sweet potatoes were amazing.  I just couldn't get enough of them.  This recipe is a keeper for sure.  
Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Brown Sugar Streusel
source: http://www.laurenslatest.com/twice-baked-sweet-potatoes-with-walnut-streusel/

3 large sweet potatoes
4 T packed brown sugar
3 T butter
pinch salt
1/2 t cinnamon

Streusel:
3 T flour
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 c chopped walnuts
2 T butter
3 T packed brown sugar

Stab the potatoes a couple times with a fork or knife.  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or cook them in the microwave for 13-15 minutes.

After they're cooked, slice them in half.  Scoop out the insides into a bowl.  Make sure to leave a thin layer of sweet potato on the skin.  Add the brown sugar, butter, salt, and cinnamon to the sweet potatoes in the bowl.  Mix until smooth.  Spoon the filling into the shells.  You'll have 1-2 shells left-over.  Just toss the extras.

In another bowl, combine all the streusel ingredients.  Mix with a fork until it starts to resemble coarse crumbs.  Sprinkle this mixture onto the sweet potatoes.

Bake for 20-30 minutes
at 350.

No comments:

Post a Comment