Monday, September 24, 2012

Caramel Pecan Brownies

Oh, sweet mercy.  I have had an insatiable sweet tooth lately.  I think between the lack of sleep from waking up 6-8 times a night with a sick baby and the busyness of work lately, I think I need sweets to sustain my desire to go on.  I found this recipe on Pinterest, of course, and boy, is it a keeper.  

 Since I wanted to get rid of the majority of the 9x13 pan so I don't eat the whole pan myself, I gave some to a girl that we go to church with.  I saw her when I was picking up my daughter from school.  She was thrilled  to get an unexpected bag of these after school, but I told her that she had to share with her dad since I know he loves brownies.  Not ten minutes after I get home does my phone ring.  It was the girl's dad.  He said, "okay... my daughter comes home with a bag of brownies and says they are from you.  At least, I hope they were from you.  I just ate one of these, and I don't know where you got them or how you made them, but I'm thinking that I need to buy whatever you need to make these again.  Now, I'm pretty sure that your husband loves you, but at this moment, I think I love you more.  See?  I love Cinnabon, and I eat there every couple of weeks.  I would completely give up Cinnabon if I could have these on a regular basis.  So, I just wanted to say thank you for however you made these, and I love you."   

This recipe is originally from the almighty Pioneer Woman.  She named them "knock you naked brownies," and yes, these are that good.  Although, I am happy to report that as we were having these after a nice Sunday dinner at my parent's house, no clothes were lost. 
 Caramel Pecan Brownies
source: http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/05/knock-you-naked-brownies/

2 boxes German chocolate cake mix
2 c pecans, finely chopped
1 2/3 c evaporated milk, separated
1 c butter, melted
100 caramels, unwrapped
2/3 c semi-sweet chocolate chips
powdered sugar (I forgot this in my excitement to eat them)

In a large mixing bowl, combine the box mix, pecans, 2/3 c evaporated milk, and melted butter.  Mix well.
 You'll get a thick, gooey delicious mess.

 Press half of it into the bottom of a 9x13 pan.  Bake it in a 350 degree oven for 8-10 minutes.
 Meanwhile, enlist the neighborhood to help unwrap all those caramels.  Cook them along with the remaining 1 c evaporated milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat until the caramels are melted.
 While they are melting, press the remaining half of the batter onto a cutting board or something else flat.  It should be about 9x13 inches.
 Pour the melted caramel layer over the baked brownie layer.
 Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
 Put the flattened, unbaked brownie layer on the top of the caramel layer- gently.  You'll have to do it in pieces.  Mine was done in a lot of pieces because my son was helping.

Bake this for 20-25 minutes.
 *enter drool here*
 Let them set up a bit before you cut into them.  The caramel is going to be hot, hot, hot.  Let them sit for several hours or overnight.  In the morning, have one for breakfast.  Or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment