Sunday, August 5, 2012

Honey Ginger Grilled Chicken with Asian Rice Pilaf

We were grocery shopping at Winco recently, and I took the kids for a bathroom break while my husband was shopping off the list.  He had to hunt for the brand of rice for this recipe, but he found it!  As far as I know, it is carried in all stores.  Anywho- while I was coming back from the bathroom break with my kids I see this old, gray-haired grandma walking quite disgruntled toward the cashier.  As I walk past her, I hear her say, "This is one crazy a** store!"  I about died laughing.  She was right, but to hear that coming from a member of the AARP really tickled my funny bone.  

I was pretty impressed with this recipe.  I found it in a cookbook I checked out from the library, but we all really liked it.  It doesn't even hold a match to the Cajun Chicken Alfredo, but it would be a good one to throw into the mix every couple of months.  It's healthy, too!  Look at me!  I can even make some recipes that don't require a pound of butter or a deep-fat fryer!

 
 Honey Ginger Grilled Chicken with Asian Rice Pilaf
source: All Recipes All-Time Favorite Best Brand Recipes cookbook

Chicken:
1 t ground ginger
1 t garlic powder
1/3 c soy sauce (I prefer low sodium)
1/3 c orange juice
1/4 c honey
1 green onion, chopped
3 chicken breasts

Rice Pilaf:
1 pkg Near East Rice Pilaf Mix
1 T olive oil
1 T soy sauce
1 cove garlic, minced
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 c diced carrots (I used frozen ones)
1/4 c chopped peanuts
1/4 c chopped green onions
2 T diced red bell pepper

In a large Ziplock bag, combine the first six ingredients for the chicken.  Shake to mix well.  Add the chicken. Marinate in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.  Flip the bag occasionally to evenly distribute the flavor.

While it is marinating, prepare the rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or olive oil.

Prepare the remaining ingredients for the rice and set aside until the rice is finished.

Lightly grease the cold oven rack.  Preheat the grill to medium heat.  Grill the chicken for about 7-10 minutes per side.

When the rice is done, add the remaining ingredients to the rice.  Keep warm on low heat.

Once the chicken is done, serve it atop the rice.  Top it all off with some diced green onion.

No comments:

Post a Comment