Monday, July 9, 2012

Glazed Doughnuts

When I was little (and perhaps all the way until my late twenties) I could not contain my excitement for Christmas.  I was the snooping queen.  I think that I had a sixth sense for finding out what my Christmas would be or where they were hiding.  It got to the point that my mom had to put secret codes or riddle on the boxes to prevent me from discovering my presents too early.  Well, a paring knife fixed that problem!  One year, I actually cut open the presents where the tape was, peeked inside, and taped them back closed again.  I like to do things early.  Like dessert for breakfast.  That's my kind of day- doing it all completely backwards.  

As a quick side note... You know that term "what goes around comes round?"  Well, I had an ultrasound for my second baby early in the pregnancy, and the first time ultrasound tech told me it was a girl.  Well, come delivery day, I was all excited for another girl.  After the delivery, the doctor says, "It's a girl!  Just kidding... it's a boy."  I about fell off the operating table.  Well played, God.  :)  Sure enough, it was a boy.  That'll teach me for trying to figure things out early.

Back to the recipe... I love that when I was putting in the label for this post I typed in breakfast then I typed in dessert, too.  I love desserts that can pass for breakfast.  Score!  These doughnuts seriously take about 15 minutes to make.  They have a wonderful taste and texture, and you don't have to make the dough.  You use Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits.  Amazing!  Where have these been my whole life?!  My husband, kids, and a friend all sampled them and were blown away.  I can't wait to make these again and again.
 Glazed Doughnuts
source: http://www.littlebitfunky.com/2011/11/what-i-made-for-monday-naughty-donuts.html?m=1


canned biscuits (not the flaky ones)
vegetable oil for frying
about 1/4 c butter, melted (if you want to do cinnamon sugar doughnuts)

cinnamon sugar coating:
1/2 c sugar
1 T cinnamon

Glaze:
1 1/2 c powdered sugar
1/4 t salt
1/4 t vanilla
1/4 c cold milk or water

sprinkles, optional

Doesn't that look wonderful?!
 Open the can of biscuits and separate them.  I used the buttery ones, but I think I'll try buttermilk next time.

Put enough oil in your skillet to come up about 1/2 inch.  Preheat the oil over medium/medium-high heat.

Use a lid from a 2 liter bottle, lemon juice, or some other similar-sized lid to cut holes in the doughnuts.
 Test the oil by putting a doughnut hole in there.  If it starts bubbling around the doughnut hole, you're good to go.  Let the dough cook until it is golden brown.  Flip it and cook the other side. They should be a nice golden brown color.
 If you want to do cinnamon sugar coating, melt the butter in a bowl.  Toss the fried doughnuts in the butter.
 Place in another bowl with the cinnamon sugar.  Toss to coat.  You could also put the sugar mixture in a Ziplock or paper bag and toss to coat that way.
 Here is a shot of the doughnuts before they got glazed.
 Combine the glaze ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.  Dip the warm doughnuts into the glaze.  Set on a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
 Add sprinkles if you'd like.  My kids though it was the coolest with the sprinkles.  Five mom points for me.
I'm telling you... These are wonderful!

No comments:

Post a Comment