Thursday, April 19, 2012

Salmon with Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze

Oh, how I love Steelhead Salmon.  However, when I eat it, for just a split second, I feel really guilty.  These crazy fish swim upstream for miles and miles to spawn only to get snagged up.  All that work for nothing.  At least they are delicious, and I will not let their efforts prevent me from devouring them every chance I get.  Could you imagine if humans had the instinct to return to their place of birth to spawn?  Watch out, Price, Utah!  Here I come!  Ha!  I'll pass.  But I won't ever pass if this salmon is present at the table.  It was tender, flavorful, and delicious in every way.  The green onions were a nice touch, too.  That was my own doing, but I loved it.
 Salmon with Brown Sugar and Mustard Glaze
source: foodnetwork.com  http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/salmon-with-brown-sugar-and-mustard-glaze-recipe/index.html

3 T brown sugar
1 T honey
2 T butter
1/4 c dijon mustard
2 T soy sauce
2 T olive oil
1 T grated ginger (or 1 t ground ginger)
vegetble oil
salt and pepper
8 salmon filets
green onion (for garnish)

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar, honey, and butter. 
 Cook and stir until the brown sugar has dissolved.
 Remove from the heat and add the dijon mustard, soy sauce, olive oil, and ginger.  Stir until everything is well combined. 
 Preheat the oven to 375.  Cover a baking sheet with foil.  Place the salmon filets on the foil.  Drizzle some vegetable oil on top and salt and pepper each filet- unless you have a five yer oldlike mine that loves salmon but without seasoning.
 Brush some of the brown sugar and mustard glaze onto the filets. 
 Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.  I brushed a little more glaze on each filet and sprinkled with a bit more brown sugar before serving it.  Use a spatula to scrape the fish off the skin.  It comes off really easily, and you can just throw the foil away. 

Sprinkle some cut green onions on top of each filet.

No comments:

Post a Comment