Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream

Oh, how I wish I had a better picture of this ice cream.  You know those little specks of chocolate in Baskin-Robbins' mint chocolate chip?  This ice cream has got some of that going on.  Little specks of chocolate will make any kind of ice cream better.  This was a wonderful homemade ice cream recipe, and I shall be making it again and again. 
Chocolate Velvet Ice Cream
source: Worldwide Ward Cookbook: Secret Recipes

2/3 c sugar
1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
3 egg yolks, beaten
2 2/3 c heavy cream
1/3 c chocolate chips

Stir the sugar and cocoa together in a mixer bowl.  Add the egg yolks and beat until well blended.  Add the cream, a little bit at a time.  Make sure you blend well after each addition.  Place the ice cream mixture in the fridge to chill.  At this point, if you have an ice cream container, put it in the freezer so it is well-chilled as well. 

Place the chocolate chips in a food processor or blender and pulse until they are in oh, so fine little flecks.  Can you add the chocolate chips whole?  Sure!  However, you will not get the magical little flecks in there. 

Add the chocolate specks to the cream mixture.  Pour the mixture into your ice cream maker and make the ice cream according to your ice cream maker's manufacturer's directions. 

Mine was still soft when I took it out, but after freezing it for a couple more hours, it was perfect.  And, oh, it was delightful!  We had company over when I made this, and I think the lady over here about karate chopped me in my Adam's apple since she was dieting.  She could barely keep her paws off this stuff!  I can't say I blame her.  It was wonderful.  If you don't have an ice cream maker, you should get one!  There's nothing quite like homemade ice cream on a hot Las Vegas summer afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment