Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Potato and Corn Chowder

And yet, here I am again, presenting a recipe that is smothered in cheese and bacon.  You can give me a hug next time you see me.  :)  We are going to Disneyland in exactly 9 days, and we are pinching pennies like crazy to save for the trip.  For dinner tonight, I didn't have any meat thawed, and I found this recipe for corn chowder.  It's basically just potato soup with corn mixed in, but it was a cheap and quick meal.  I think it would be safe to say that I'm not alone in the I-desperately-need-cheap-and-easy-meals-right-now category.  This fits the bill.  My oldest brother would refer to this as "clown puke," but I like it.  :)
 Creamy Corn Chowder
source: Our Best Bites Cookbook

6-8 ounces of bacon (1/2 package)
2 T butter
1/4 c flour
1 c water
2 1/2 c milk
2 t chicken boullion
2 red potatoes, diced into small cubes
3/4 c minced onion
2-3 cloves garlic
1 can corn or 1 1/2 c frozen corn
hot sauce
salt and pepper
toppings: cheddar cheese, green onions, crumbled bacon

Cook the bacon according to package directions.

Melt the butter in a saucepan.  Add the flour.  Stir it until it starts to stick together and form a ball(ish) shape.
 Add the water and whisk it until it's smooth.  I used a wooden spoon but a whisk would be much more effective.
 Ta-Da!  Whisk in the milk and chicken boullion.  Simmer it for about five minutes.  While it is simmering, prepare the potato and onion. 
 Add the potatoes and onion.
 Simmer the chowder with the onion and onion for twenty minutes.  Stir it frequently.  Add the corn and some of the bacon.  make sure you crumble it, so you don't have a giant stik of bacon chilling in the middle of your soup.  Although that might not be a bad idea. 

Heat it through and add a couple dashes of hot sauce, if you'd like.  Add some salt and pepper.
 Serve it in bowls and garnish with cheddar cheese and more crumbled bacon.  Chopped green onion would be a great addition here as well. 
This meal probably costs well under a dollar per serving.  It's only serves about 4 people- small portions- so you'll want to have bread, salad, or something else on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment