Saturday, February 12, 2011

Steak Au Poivre

Okay... As if a mushroom cream sauce (not to be confused with Cream of Mushroom soup) isn't enough goodness to slather on a filet, I found this recipe from the Pioneer Woman's website. Praise all that is creamy and delicious! This sauce atop the best steak you'll eat makes one delicious meal. When you take a bite of this a few things might happen:

1. You will express your undying love to whoever made it for you (unless you're a vegetarian).
2. You will recall your fondest childhood memory and get lost in it for about twenty minutes.
3. You will feel as though you are prancing around on clouds, sliding down rainbows, and frolicing through a field of daises with a flock, herd, band, pride, or gander of unicorns.

Yes, my friends, it is that tasty. Even the mere mention of this post to my husband makes him say, "I love you." A filet mignon is, by far, my favorite steak. This sauce is out of this world. If you need a Valentine's Day recipe to impress someone dear to your heart, this is the ticket. Now, if you're dating some guy for fun and have no intention of commital, don't make this. That guy will magically whisk a wedding ring out of his pocket for you.

Enough of that chit-chat... I'm unveiling what has previously been unveiled several times on other blogs...

Steak Au Poivre:
source: The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients:

2 beef filets
2 T butter
salt and pepper
2 T dijon mustard
1/4 c white cooking wine
1/2 c cream
1 T freshly ground peppercorns

Preheat the oven to 500. While you're at it, disconnect your smoke detector because if you have one, it will go off.

Generously sprinkle the salt and pepper on both sides of the steak.

Put the butter into an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Once the skillet is hot and the butter is melted, add the steaks. Cook them on each side for 1-2 minutes or until browned on both sides.

Place the skillet and steaks into the really, really hot oven for 3-5 minutes. Please remember that if a filet is overcooked, it is not nearly as good (in my opinion). It's going to be pink in the middle. If you like yours more on the well-done side, I will shed a tear for you, but also cook it a few more minutes in the oven.

Once the steaks are done, remove them to a plate.

Return the skillet to the stovetop over low heat. Add the dijon mustard and white wine. Whisk to combine.

Add the cream.
Add the pepper.
Let the mixture bubble for 45 seconds and remove it from the heat. You should be drooling about now.
If not.. this picture should.
Pour the cream sauce over the steak. mmmmmmmm....

I served these steaks with the two onion, two cheese twice baked potatoes (see "side dish" label), steamed vegetables, and bread.

During meals like this, I wish that my stomach was twice as big. But then again, my thighs would be twice as big. I take that back.

Go make some steak!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this recipe! I made it about a year ago and when I searched the PW website to make it again the recipe was gone! I'm writing this one down. It's delicious.

    ReplyDelete