Thursday, February 3, 2011

Good-as-Store-Bought Cookies

When my kids have gone to bed, and I have managed to clean up the rubble of Polly Pockets, Strawberry Shortcake toys, legos, crayons, movie cases, blankets, and Buzz Lightyear off the living room floor, I finally sit down to rest. As soon as that happens, something in my head clicks and says, "uhh... Hello?! You need to make cookies." "Yes, subconscience. I'm on it." So, I do. Although I have posted my ultimately favorite chocolate chip cookie, I have to keep trying other recipes. This one was found in the King Arthur Cookie Cookbook, and it's pretty tasty! When I asked my husband if I should try this recipe or a different one, he said, "Store-bought cookies? Are there even any store-bought cookies that are good?" I explained that it is more like the infamous cookies from Neiman-Marcus or a cookie stand. Sure enough, they were divine. I'd better post this since the cookbook is going back to the library in a week.
Good-as-Store-Bought Cookies:
source: King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion Cookbook

1 1/4 c oats, finely ground
4 ounces chocolate (semi-sweet, bitter-sweet, or milk chocolate)
1/2 c unsalted butter, softened
1/2 c brown sugar
1/2 c sugar
1 large egg
1 t vanilla
1 c flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1 c chocolate chips
3/4 c chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Put the oats in a food processor and pulse a couple of times. Add the 4 oz chocolate (broken up) and pulse until it looks like small chopped pieces. I actually used mini chocolate chips since that was all I had on hand. Set aside.

In a mixing bowl, add the butter, sugars, egg, and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes until light and fluffy.


Meanwhile, add the remaining dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the oat/chocolate mixture and whisk to combine.



Add the dry stuff to the creamed mixture in the mixing bowl. Stir. Add the chocolate chips and nuts, if you are using them.


Drop by 1/4 c onto the cookie sheet. These make pretty big cookies! Bake 15 minutes. They look really, really underdone when you take them out, but they will cook a little longer and firm up. Cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes then remove to cool on a cookie rack or wax paper.

These are fantastic with milk when they are out of the oven for only about 10 minutes. Mmm....

I still like the other recipe better, but it's always good to have an oatmeal, chocolate chip cookie on hand. This one will do it for you every time.

No comments:

Post a Comment