Friday, January 21, 2011

Salsa Verde

I love chips and salsa. Every time I go to a Mexican restaurant (I can never spell that correctly the first time), I gobble up chips and salsa like it's popcorn- preferably white chocolate covered. Now, I remember the first time I tried salsa verde. As a red salsa fanatic, I could only imagine the look I gave the waiter as he handed me this Exorcist puke-colored "salsa." To say the least, I was quite disgruntled. I gave it a taste and did not like it one bit. I never went back to that restaurant because of their green salsa. If I want salsa, I want it done right!

Well, years have passed, babies have been born, and my taste buds have been transformed. I gave this salsa verde a try again, and I really liked it. So, the hunt began to find a recipe on how to make it because everyone knows that homemade anything is better than anything bottled. Lo and behold- I found a recipe on a blog called Delicious House, and she claims that it is the best that she has tried. I tried it, and it is the best I have tried! Thanks Becks, for posting this recipe. :) If you like salsa verde, this really isn't too difficult. It takes some cooking and cooling time, but I think it is well worth the time it takes. Now, if I go to a Mexican place with green salsa, the poor waiter won't have to suffer the pains of my infamous this-look-would-turn Medusa-to-stone glare. Sorry, anonymous waiter from 7 years ago. I hope you have recovered.


Salsa Verde:
Ingredients:
3 lbs tomatillos
2 jalapenos
1 1/2 t cumin
6 small cloves of garlic
1 medium bunch cilantro
3/4 c Italian parsley
1/2 c fresh mint
1 1/2 t vegetable oil
salt
pepper
Now, the first time I went to buy tomatillos, I didn't know what they looked like. I was expected a green tomato, which is what they look like after you remove that crazy, papery husk. Here's a pop quiz:
Does the stickiness on the inside of the husk feel like:
A. fine grain sand paper drizzled with maple syrup
B. The gunk that accumulates on all the metal parts of your car door locking mechanism
C. A kitchen table that has had rasberry jam marinating for days on the side where a two year old sits.
D. All of the above
See correct answer at the bottom.
To the recipe, take you tomatillos and peel off the husks. In case you didn't get my drift- the inside of those husks is crazy sticky! Now I know how frustrated a fly must feel when it slams into fly paper. Cut the jalapenos open and remove the seeds. I left some of the veins for a little bit of heat. Place the tomatillos and the jalapenos in a pot of boiling water. Boil for 15 minutes.


Make sure you smile while you cook! My four year old took this picture.



And she took this one. She said, "Mom... cut that garlic real slow, so I can get a good picture of it for your blog."
While the tomatillos and jalapenos are boiling, cut the stem thing off the garlic cloves. Prepare your herbs as well.
By the way- that knife is awesome. I got a set of four colorful knives, and they work like a charm!




After 15 minutes, drain the pot. Let them sit for 15 minutes.





Don't those boiled tomatillos look disgusting and discolored? They are tasty though. Don't judge.
Put this in the blender with the cumin


and the cloves.



Blend the micture together until is is smooth. You will have little seeds in there that will never go away even if you have the "pulverize to smithereens" setting.


Add the cilantro, parsley, and mint. I actually used a little less mint that it called for. It was fresh from my garden and it was po-tent! Pulse the mixture in the blender until it is well blended.






Place all of this back in the pot. Add 1 1/2 t of vegetable oil. Simmer for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to you liking. Once it has simmered for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Then, plop it in the fridge until you're ready to devour it.









Answer to the pop quiz- D. It does, indeed, feel like all of those things.

No comments:

Post a Comment