Friday, January 7, 2011

Creamy Macaroni and Cheese

I've made a lot of macaroni and cheese recipes, and this is one of my new favorites. I found it on foodnetwork.com from Paula Deen. I'm not going to question a macaroni and cheese recipe from a Southern woman! It's a little different in that is uses cheddar cheese soup in addition to the usual cheese/flour/milk sauce. The most recent time I made this, I mixed about 1 c of bread crumbs with 3 T of butter, sprinkled it over the top, and baked it for about 20 minutes until the bread crumbs were browned. It was a tasty little twist.

Also, Mrs. Deen did the recipe for the crockpot, but after sitting for four hours, mine wasn't as creamy. I switched it up to the stovetop and served it right away.
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
source: foodnetwork.com Paula Deen's "Macaroni and Cheese"
serves 12

Ingredients:
2 c dry elbow macaroni
4 T butter
2 1/2 c grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 c sour cream
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1/2 t salt
1 c milk
1/2 t dry mustard
1/2 t pepper

Cook the macaroni according to package directions.

Meanwhile, add all the ingredients and cook over medium heat until the cheese is melted. Once the macaroni is done, drain it, and return it to the pot. Add the cheese sauce to the macaroni. When I added it, I added about 2/3 of it. If it is cheesy and creamy enough for you, call it good. If you'd like it a little creamier, add some more cheese sauce. It's up to you.

If you'd like to bake it, put it all in an ovenproof dish. Melt 3 T of butter in the microwave and add 1 c of bread crumbs. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the top. Bake for 20 minutes.

This would go great with The Juicy Lucy Hamburger or the Tri-tip sandwiches with homemade BBQ sauce

1 comment: