Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Rolo Cookies

We have two giant bags of candy left over from Halloween. I also went to a birthday party with a giant container of Rolos AKA Mario's gold coins. I snagged a couple handfuls of those with this recipe in mind. However, I didn't quite get enough to make the whole batch of cookies, so I stuffed other candy in and on these cookies. That worked out quite well. :) There! Now you have a wonderful use for leftover Halloween candy- if the woman in the house hasn't eaten all the chocolate stuff by now. I know I've just about cleared the bags of all good candy. Back to these cookies. I made them a couple years ago after finding them on icookstuff.blogspot.com. They are delicious. I took some to a friend, and she hugged me when she saw me next. They truly are wonderful: chewy, soft, delicious. As much as I love chocolate chip cookies, it's nice to have a little variety once in awhile. Come on, it's chocolate and caramel! Who wouldn't love that? As if a chewy, chocolate cookie is not enough, there's a chunk of caramel in the middle, for crying out loud. They're divine.
Rolo cookies:
source: http://icookstuff.blogspot.com/2009/02/rolo-cookies.html

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
¾ cup cocoa
2 ¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 packages Rolos (40)

Preheat the oven to 350.

Cream the butter and sugars. I like to beat the tar out of mine. I let the mixer run for at least a minute to fluffify the butter and sugar. Also, in my little mind, I like to think that the sugar kind of dissolves in the butter so it's not so grainy. I'm sure if any culinary school people are out there reading this, they're probably thinking, "Uhh.. Is she serious?!"
Add the eggs and vanilla. Beat until well mixed in. In a separate bowl, combine the cocoa, flour, and baking soda. Whisk it up. Add the flour mixture to the butter stuff. The dough will turn nice and brown- almost brownie like. I love how as soon as I start using my mixer, my kids run up and ask if they can "help." As soon as the dough is done, they instantly ask, "Can I like the spatula?" I can't say I blame the little stinkers. Besides, I did that, too. Eating dough is one o the best parts of making cookies.

I know that you love how I went from butter and sugar in a bowl to batter in my hand with a rolo. I missed a couple steps there. Sorry!

Now, take about 2 T of dough and put it in your hand. Place an unwrapped (obviously) Rolo in the middle of the dough.
Use your fingers to squish the dough all around the Rolo.
Bake them for 8-10 minutes. Do not overbake! If they look underdone, don't worry! That just means they'll be chewy. Trust me on this. Let them cool slightly on the cookie sheet. After a few minutes, move them to a wire rack or wax paper or aluminum foil or whatever you use to cool cookies. They won't last long!
You can see in the picture above how I added Reese's pieces to the cookies. That was absolutely scrumtrulescent. (That word if from SNL: Best of Will Ferrell... if you haven't seen it, go rent it- now) I was actually tempted to hide a few of these, so I could enjoy them for the next few days, but like I said, they don't last. I think people have a sixth sense for tracking down anything delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment