Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Pecan Chicken with Bleu Cheese sauce

There used to be a point in my life (quite recently, actually) when I could remember if I found a recipe in a cookbook, magazine, online, on a blog, or whatever else there may be. When I started to post the pictures for this recipe, I couldn't, for the life of me, remember where I found the recipe. Thank heaven for the internet! After a quick google search, I found it on the Taste of Home website. I had actually done it out of a Simple and Delicious magazine, but either way, you'll get the same recipe. This is a wonderful recipe. It's a good one to serve for company or just for a nice dinner with loved ones. If you don't like bleu cheese, which I could totally understand since I hated the stuff a couple years ago, you can leave it out and still yield a wonderful sauce for the chicken.
Pecan Chicken with Bleu Cheese Sauce:
source: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/Pecan-Chicken-with-Blue-Cheese-Sauce

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (5 ounces each)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary or 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3/4 cup finely chopped pecans

SAUCE:


1 cup heavy whipping cream
1/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Preheat the oven to 375.

Sprinkle the chicken with salt'n'peppa on both sides. In one shallow dish, put the flour and rosemary. In another, put the egg and brown sugar. Place the chopped pecans on a plate. Coat each chicken breast in the flour.
Dip it into the egg mixture next.
Lastly, coat in in the pecans. Mine were not chopped finely enough. I think deep down, a part of me is terrified of chopping something and getting my finger instead of the food. Hence, I'm a premature completely-and-finely-chopped type of person. Maybe one day this fear will subside. :) Either way, it will come out wonderful. I think the only difference would be that the pecans would stick better to the chicken if they are more finely chopped. Put the chicken breasts on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until the juices run clear.
Meanwhile, back at the ranch, prepare the sauce. Pour the cream into a saucepan. Cook it over medium heat and bring it to a boil. Cook it for about 8-10 minutes. It will thicken up a bit thanks to the water cycle.
Once it has thickened slightly, stir in the remaining ingredients. I was out of green onions, so I used fresh basil. That was delicious. I think green onions or fresh basil would work just fine.
Here is the finished sauce. If it is still to thin for your taste, combine 2 T of corn starch and 2 T cold water. Stir that together. Pour in a little at a time, stirring after each addition, until it reaches a thickness you like.
Take the chicken out. It doesn't look much different than when it went in. I promise it's cooked though. :)
Drizzle some sauce on top.
Done! There you have it, little miss fancy pants. I served this with steamed vegetables, the Bleu Cheese wedge salad, and fresh bread. Delicioso!

No comments:

Post a Comment