Friday, November 5, 2010

Magical Mashed Potatoes

There is something wonderful about mashed potatoes. They are divine. Fluffy, buttery, and drenched in gravy. Mmm... I saw my mom make mashed potatoes throughout my life, and I gathered little tips here and there. Her potatoes were always some of the best I've tasted. When I made roasted chicken this week, I wanted mashed potatoes to go with it. I thought about ingredients that I've seen my mom throw in. I thought I'd try to whip up some comparable potatoes. Well, before I give the recipe, here's the conversation about the potatoes once my husband tried them. Husband: "Are you going to blog these?" Me "I'm not sure." Husband: "Well, you need to because these are the best potatoes I've ever eaten. I think they may be better than your mom's mashed potatoes." Me: "Seriously?!" Husband: "Yes! And you need to call them Magical Mashed Potatoes because they are." Me: "Okay then. I will." There you have it folks! I don't know if they're better than my mom's, but they sure did turn out wonderful. It's a simple recipe but yields delicious results. Since Thanksgiving is in 20 days (crazy!), now you have some magical mashed potatoes to serve up to your guests. I know they don't look like much, but trust me...

Magical Mashed Potatoes:
3 servings

3 large russet potatoes
3 T butter
2 oz cream cheese, softened
2 T cream
1 T sour cream
1 t garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste

Bake the potatoes for 1 hour at 400 degrees. When I make mashed potatoes after boiling potatoes, they seem watery to me. I'm not a big fan of watery mashed potatoes.

After they have cooled long enough to handle, cut them in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp and put it in a mixer bowl. Hollow out all the potatoes. Discard the skins- unless you want to do twice-baked potatoes.
Take every dairy product out of your fridge and throw them in the mixer. :) Really though, add the softened cream cheese, butter, cream, and sour cream to the mixer. Turn the mixer onto the highest speed and beat the tarnation out of those potatoes! I had it on high for 1 minute. Stopped it, stirred it up with a spatula to get all the potato chunks off the side of the bowl. Repeat this process two times. Add the garlic powder. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put the potatoes in a bowl and keep warm until dinner is ready.
I told you they were easy! They come out so creamy and delicious though with all that added dairy stuff in there. This recipe is NOT lactose-intolerant friendly. Those of us dairy-loving folks out there will embrace this recipe. The potatoes were wonderful.
If you want to do twice-baked potatoes, add some shredded cheddar cheese and chopped green onions with the mashed potatoes. Spoon the mashed potatoes into four of the potato skin halves. Brush them with butter and stick them into the oven for 60 minutes at 400 degrees. If the tops aren't browned, turn on the broiler for five minutes or until the tops are browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment