Thursday, October 14, 2010

Homemade Waffle Bowls

Just like most women, I love ice cream. The stuff makes me giddy. I think in my life, happiness comes from three things: my family, my church, and ice cream. It's creamy. It's cold. It's sweet. It's sometimes swirled with any combination of delicious things like caramel, fudge, pecans, Oreos, cookie dough, brownie bites... the list goes on and on and on. In my opinion, one thing that makes ice cream even better are these homemade waffle bowls. I love the smell of them while they are cooking. Sometimes while these are cooking, I like to close my eyes and pretend I'm on Main Street in Disneyland. It smells just like the waffle cones that cook at that tasty ice cream shop. The only problem with this post is that you need to have a waffle cone maker. I have done a different recipe where they are cooked on a warm griddle on the stove. I'll have to try that next time and get back to you. If you know me, I'd be more than happy to loan mine out for an evening. It's a fun addition to ice cream sundaes.

Homemade Waffle Bowls:
*a few years back when I didn't have internet, I asked my brother to google a waffle cone recipe and this is the one he found. I haven't the foggiest idea where he got it.

1 whole egg
1 egg white
1/4 t salt
1/2 c sugar
2/3 c flour
2 T butter

Put the egg and the egg white into a bowl. If you've never separated an egg before, I crack mine in half. I carefully pull the halves so they are both open at the top. Carefully pass the yolk back and forth and let the white fall into a bowl. It's late, so that may not make much sense at all. :) Anywho stir the egg, egg white, salt, and sugar in the bowl.
Add the flour. Stir it up.
Add the melted butter.
While you are doing that, heat up your waffle cone maker. Mine is a Rival one, and my husband got it for me as a birthday present when we were first married over seven years. You should have seen me dancing around the living room.
Pour about 1/2 c batter on the griddle. Close it and let it cook. The light will go off when it is ready.
Take it off with a plastic spatula or something that won't scrape the griddle. Plop it into a bowl and shape the outside to resemble a waffle bowl.
The best thing about this is that a lot of it stays soft. It's so good. Like I said, if you personally know me, I'd be happy to lend this out so you can make some killer waffle bowls.

Suggestions:
Get some chocolate bark coating, melt the chocolate, and dip the bowls in the chocolate. Toss some sprinkles or nuts on the outside.

Usually when I make these, I have a whole plethora of toppings: hot fudge (homemade, of course), caramel sauce, strawberry sauce, bananas, strawberries, sprinkles, chocolate chips, coconut, m&ms, nuts, kwwoot (whipped cream in a can for those that don't regularly read this blog), and cherries. It makes a good dessert for any occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment