Sunday, September 19, 2010

Orange Chicken

First off, if you think you're getting Panda Express' Orange Chicken recipe here, you're not. sniff sniff. I think this is better though. Panda makes me feel funny afterward, and this will not. When I went off to college about ten years ago, I told my dad that I would miss orange chicken from Panda Express. He looked online and found this recipe for me. It fit the bill perfectly, and it has been a recipe that I have made several times over the past ten years. I love it. The orange glaze is so tasty. I was going to add craisins into the sauce while it was cooking, but I totally forgot. I did have orange-craisin chicken once, and it was divine. I think it would be a delicious addition.

Orange Chicken:

2 chicken breasts
1 egg white, beaten
1/2 c seasoned bread crumbs
2 T olive oil
1/2 c orange juice
1/2 c orange marmalade
1 T lemon juice
1 T lemon zest
1 T dijon mustard
1 1/2 t Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 c craisins
1 t cornstarch
1 t orange juice

Dip each chicken breast in the egg white and then in the bread crumbs.

Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and brown the chicken on both sides. Cook it until it's golden. it does not need to cook through because I'm trying to give you salmonella poisoning. jk :) The chicken goes back in the pot with the sauce later to finish cooking. It should look like this when you take it out of the skillet:

While the chicken is cooking in the skillet, combine all the remaining ingredients. Once you take the chicken out, pour the orange jucie mixture in the pan and cook over medium heat. I cook it for a minute or two so some of the liquid evaporates. Combine the 1 t orange juice and the 1 t cornstarch in a small bowl and stir until smooth. Add it to the sauce. Stir to mix well. If you want to use craisins, add them now. Add the chicken.

Cover the skillet and cook for ten minutes or until chicken is cooked. Take the chicken out and top it with some sauce.

I serve this with rice, steamed vegetables and bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment