Sunday, August 22, 2010

Onion Cream Pasta Sauce







Remove Formatting from selection






A few months ago, I wanted to find a new pasta sauce recipe. I was browsing through my cookbook "How to Cook Everything," and I found this cream sauce. It was meant to be served with chicken cutlets, but I dumped it on pasta. Man, was it good! My in-laws were visiting once, and my Father-in-Law seriously got every last drop of that out of the bowl with bread. I made it another time, and my brother said, "Next time, you need to make more of that sauce." It is different, and it is tasty! Tonight, my daughter said. This is the best recipe I have ever tasted!" It's pretty simple to make, and the result is awesome. It's one of my new favorite homemade sauces. Bottled sauces are dead to me. Here's the recipe:

Onion Cream Sauce:
1/2 c minced onion
2 T butter
1 t paprika
1/2 white wine
1/2 chicken broth
1 c heavy cream
fresh parsley

Melt the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the minced onion and paprika. Saute until tender, about 5 minutes.










Sorry about the blur on this one. It's tough trying to paprika and take a picture with the other hand. I need to train my four year old to be my photographer. :)

Add the white wine and chicken broth. Continue to cook over medium heat until sauce is reduced. A good amount of the mixture will evaporate, and the sauce will thicken slightly.











Once the sauce is reduced, turn off the heat. Add the cream. If you don't have heavy cream, you can add sour cream or plain yogurt. However (a big however), I have noticed that the cream is the best- of course.














I used sour cream today because I was out of heavy cream (enter blood-curdling scream here.) Like I said, the cream is much, much better.

Stir to get everything all evened out and smooth. Turn on low heat and let the sauce warm up. You don't want it to boil. That causes the cream to separate. Bad! I kept it on low heat until everything was ready.

I served this over cheese ravioli with parsley on top. I also cooked magically moist chicken (see chicken recipes), which has been a favorite around here. I did a little lemon broccoli to go on the side as well. I made some French Bread, too, but I wasn't too fond of it, so you don't get that recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment