Sunday, August 22, 2010

Magically Moist Chicken

When I was first married (7 years ago), I found this recipe in a cookbook. It was easy, and back then, I could barely make a chicken quesadilla so I needed something easy. Even my brother calls me every once in awhile to use it to make chicken parmesan. It's a great recipe. I have modified a little bit since I like homemade bread crumbs as opposed to the small, hard, and crunchy store bought ones. Here's the picture and the recipe.













Magically Moist Chicken:

2 chicken breasts
1/4 c mayonnaise
1 c soft bread crumbs
3 T Parmesan cheese
1 t Italian seasoning

That's it! Woohoo!

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Brush the chicken breasts with mayonnaise. Have you heard that term, "The secret is in the sauce?" Well, I think the secret to moist baked chicken in the sauce (mayo.) Brush both sides with mayonnaise.














Prepare to make bread crumbs. If you don't have some kind of a food processor, you are missing out! I love mine to pieces. Sometimes I put it next to my pillow at night when my husband stays up to watch Lord of the Rings for the umpteenth time. ok- I don't really sleep with the thing, but I do love it. Go into your cupboard and find some stale bread. We've all got it somewhere. I prefer white bread. Next time you say, "Dag Nabit! My buns went stale again," you'll have a use for them. Break the bread into smaller pieces and put them in the food processor.












Close it and pulse a few times until you get this:












Add your Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning. Put it all in a shallow dish or a bowl. Place one chicken breast at a time in there and coat it.











Place the breasts on a greased sheet. I usually put a rack under the chicken so the bottom doesn't get burnt. I wasn't thinking today. My kids were running a muck, and I was trying a couple new recipes all at the same time. AHH! The wire rack underneath does make a difference. The bottom stays nice and golden.

Once they are all on the sheet, bake them for 30 minutes. If the crumbs start to brown too quickly and burn, tent some aluminum foil over the chicken.

I usually serve this with wild rice, a vegetable, and some bread.

For Chicken Parmesan, use the spaghetti sauce I have already posted in the pasta section. Cook the chicken. While it's cooking, prepare some spaghetti noodles. When the chicken is done, take it out and place it on a bed of cooked spaghetti noodles. Top with the spaghetti sauce and some mozzarella cheese. Place it back in the oven just until the cheese is melted. Sprinkle with parsley and a little more Parmesan cheese. Mmm...mmm...good. Fancy Pants.

No comments:

Post a Comment