Thursday, August 19, 2010

(really, really) fudgy brownies

I found this recipe years ago and made it a few times. I neglected it for about four years, and this week, I brought it back. Thank Heaven for resurrected brownie recipes. These are many things. Fudgy: yes. Chocolaty: yes. Delicious: yes. Divine: yes. Devilish: absolutely. I think they are more like fudge than they are like brownies, but whatever! They're tasty. I gave them to a few people, and one couple said that if they ever divorce, they're going to fight over who gets me. AHH! I was laughing, but I think I'll stick with my husband. :) Here is the picture- then the recipe.Brownies:
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 c butter (2 sticks)
4 eggs
2 c sugar
1 T vanilla
1/4 t salt
1 c flour

Frosting:
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 c butter
2 eggs
1 T vanilla
2 1/2 - 3 c powdered sugar
4 c mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat until melted.
Stir until smooth. Turn off the heat and stir in eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Add the sugar, vanilla, and salt. Mix well. Add flour and stir until incorporated.

Pour it into a greased 9 x 13 pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. They will be a bit moist.While they are cooling, prepare the frosting. In a saucepan, combine the chocolate and butter. Stir until smooth. This might seem like deja vu. Once it's smooth, remove from the heat and stir in the eggs. Add the vanilla. Add the powdered sugar about 1/2 c at a time, stirring to mix it in after each addition. Add the marshmallows and stir to coat them evenly.

Pour the frosting over the brownies. I let mine cool on the counter until they were at room temperature. Once they are cool, put a cover on them and store in the fridge. This will make the frosting thicken. Here's the end result:

One warning: These are ridiculously rich. I think they should be considered fudge instead of brownies because they are so fudgy. If you try to eat a brownie the size of the one in the picture, eat it on the way to the hospital because you'll probably have a heart attack. :)
This recipe was adapted from the cookbook "Sweet Surprises" published in 1998 by Home Economic Teachers.

3 comments:

  1. Emily- I hope you do! That's why it's up here. :) You'll have to let me know how you and your family like it. I hope you're all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm making these today I'm sooo excited. I've been thinking about them ever sense you posted them originally.

    ReplyDelete