Friday, September 18, 2015

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

I have a dear friend Carrie that recently tore some tendon in her knee that I didn't even know existed.  She was stuck at home (except for a quick trip to Wal-mart where she got to ride around on one of those motorized shopping carts.  Disclaimer- only a couple people were injured during her little off-roading Rascal escapades in Wal-Mart).  I thought I'd take her some homemade chocolate ice cream one night.  When I came in, her mom was there to help with the family.  
She said to her mom, "Mom, do you recognize the name Callie Frank?  Remember the family reunion by the treehouse?"  
The mom said, "Oh, the really good baker?"  
Carrie then raised an eyebrow at me and proceeded to tell me that my name is basically a swear word at her house because her kids are always saying, "I bet Callie can make these better."  
Her kids don't know how good they've got it!  She's amazing!  In fact, she repaid the ice cream visit with a loaf of homemade bread that was the best I've ever tasted!

One more thing- Carrie has dissed on homemade brownies claiming that they are never as good as boxed brownies.  Challenge accepted, my friend!  I made these and had to get one over to her because they blow boxed brownies out of the water and up to the moon.  She texted me the next day and said, "Fine!  You win!  Now you have to share the recipe with me!"  So, here it is.  The infamous brownie that won Carrie over.  It really is perfect.  You can cut the amount of chocolate chips in half to be a little less sweet, but who really wants to do that?!  

Enjoy the World's Best Brownie.  



Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies

Ultimate Double Chocolate Brownies
recipe and photo source: http://moneysavingmom.com/2013/10/ultimate-double-chocolate-brownies.html

Ingredients:
  • ¾ cup cocoa
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup melted butter, divided
  • ½ cup boiling water
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 1 1/3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup chopped pecans, optional
  • 12 oz. package chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine the cocoa and baking soda.

Stir in 1/3 of the melted butter.  Add the boiling water.  Stir until blended.

Stir in the sugar, eggs, and remaining butter.   Mix well.  Add the flour, vanilla, salt, pecans (if using) and chocolate chips.

Pour into a 9/13 pan.  Bake for 35-40 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment